Feature Request

More
04 Sep 2020 11:23 #180657 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Feature Request
I don't think it can be applied to an open source system with no warranty but with my latest CNC acquisition, there is an option that zips up the whole config and logs a service request and my local technician can test it in his virtual environment and troubleshoot for me. The crazy thing is that after I bought a second hand machine at auction the technician called to get it up and running for me at no charge. How good is that company's customer service? Nearly as good as the Linuxcnc forum!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2020 11:40 #180663 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feature Request

I don't think it can be applied to an open source system with no warranty but with my latest CNC acquisition, there is an option that zips up the whole config and logs a service request and my local technician can test it in his virtual environment and troubleshoot for me. The crazy thing is that after I bought a second hand machine at auction the technician called to get it up and running for me at no charge. How good is that company's customer service? Nearly as good as the Linuxcnc forum!

That's nuts! Meanwhile the companies that have terrible customer service sometimes seem to take over the empire. Frustrating.

One reservation I have about making and selling tables (people seem to suggest this a lot) is supporting them. It would seem that quite quickly one could be inundated with service requests for simple things. There are a lot of people who refuse to Read The Manual, or those who read the manual and then forget (me) :laugh:. Havent quite worked out a good solution there yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
04 Sep 2020 11:42 #180664 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request

Haha, all we need to set this up is a volunteer technician. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
04 Sep 2020 12:18 #180669 by rodw

Haha, all we need to set this up is a volunteer technician. :)

I got the volunteer technician earlier in the week, but here at Linuxcnc, we've got you for free Phill!

Now I should not put ideas into your head but a support system - pay per incident model would not be in breach of the GPL2 license. With your knowledge of Python, it would be a walk in the park to build a web support system that charged via paypal or credit card. Then you could farm off jobs to particpants via Freelance.

I sometimes wonder how sustainable it is for you to continue to provide plasmac support the way you are doing now long term. We don't want you to blow a head gasket or something! I think PLasmac has a massive head of steam behind it now and the journey is just beginning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Sep 2020 12:30 #180671 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feature Request
It is sustainable while I still enjoy it. It also keeps me out of the chiefs hair, happy wife happy life etc.
If I received payment then it would be work and I am pretty sure that I am allergic to work.
All donations accepted. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Sep 2020 12:37 - 04 Sep 2020 12:40 #180674 by snowgoer540

Where do we send them?

I'm happy to donate my time to the cause, but I've always felt it'd be nice to buy you a glass of grape juice and a steak :lol:
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 12:40 by snowgoer540.

More
04 Sep 2020 12:38 #180675 by rodw

It is sustainable while I still enjoy it. It also keeps me out of the chiefs hair, happy wife happy life etc.
If I received payment then it would be work and I am pretty sure that I am allergic to work.

Yeh I know but I think back to the product I developed in my little shed 11 years ago and adopted the same continuous improvement ethic you have. 4 years ago sales went up 50%, now our sales are 1300% above that level. I think Plasmac is growing faster than my product did so are you ready for the storm thats coming?

Build the channel so people can donate...

More
04 Sep 2020 16:18 #180701 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Feature Request

A preview of the config backup:

Now that is a very nice and usable feature. Thank you Phill.

More
04 Sep 2020 16:24 #180702 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Feature Request
LOL @ head gaskets and allergic to work ! :)
We are a bunch of strange personalities here, i bet the shrinks would collapse on the first session with one of us ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, rodw

More
05 Sep 2020 22:47 #180869 by snowgoer540
Had some time with the conversational today... Two things:

1. It outputs M5 to end the cut, I know this works in single tool machines, but when someone has other tools, should it be M5 $0?
2. It might be nice if it had the option to pick your material. I know you can just pick the material when you run it, but once I closed everything down and loaded "shape.ngc" and forgot to pick the new material :blush:, so I thought I'd ask...

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds